You may know that you should never go to bed without washing your face. However, what else should you be doing to care for your skin each night? Since skin cells grow faster as you sleep, it’s important to stick to a nightly regime.
1. Cleanse thoroughly to remove any buildup and makeup from the day. Most people don’t properly wash their face. Use a gentle face cleanser, a cleansing brush, and lukewarm water. If you have sensitive skin, only use products that are free of fragrance.
2. Apply a face mask to help your beauty products sink in. Face masks can address a variety of needs, including clearing clogged pores, smoothing wrinkles, and restoring moisture. Ideally, though, you should choose a face mask that will open your pores, which will let the active ingredients in your skincare products penetrate the skin.
3. Apply a topical retinoid, which will help with clogged pores while evening out your skin tone. Retinoids also have anti-aging effects and they promote collagen production.
4. Cover your face and neck with a layer of moisturizer. Spread the moisturizer on thick, since it will have to get you through the entire night.
5. After putting on your night cream, gently apply eye cream. This will protect the delicate skin around your eye.
Your goal for while you sleep should be to repair skin damage from the daily pollution, sun, and stress it faces. Have a serious skin issue? Consider skin resurfacing.